Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Prayers Are With You

“O Lord, my God grant us your peace; already, indeed, you have made us rich in all things! Give us that peace of being at rest, that sabbath peace, the peace which knows no end.”  
St. Augustine

I graduated from nursing in 1970 and began my career in a “new” area of the hospital called the Intensive Care Unit.  Nurses working in this area were “trusted” to care for gravely ill people; even “allowed” to take blood pressures without a doctor’s order !!  So much has changed … and some things never change. 

During the early years of my career I developed a philosophy that I believe still rings true … “if you aren’t sick when you get here (the hospital), you will be when you leave”.  A month ago my Aunt Chob entered the hospital for a “simple” out-patient CT scan, had an allergic reaction to the contrast dye, and has since struggled to survive.   

My 40+ years at the bedside have taught me that “there are far worse things than dying”.  I’ve cared for countless people who barely cling to life, yet we (health care) continue to probe and prod them.  So after a life time devoted to caring for ill and injured people, I’ve come to the conclusion that one of God’s greatest gifts is a peaceful death.  My prayer for my dear sweet 83 year old Aunt is that God will give her peace.  Thanks for “listening” 

“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious o you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace”. Numbers 6:24-26


3 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your aunt. If it's her time, may the angels surround her and guide her home in peace.
    Jane-Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a nurse before I did pharmaceutical sales, and amen to what you're saying. Last year my Mom went in for an angiogram and after they blew through the side of her artery she had open heart surgery. She lived, but it sure took her out of the game for a while. I am wishing your aunt a total recovery or a peaceful death.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete